Simulations: Managing Stakeholders™
The ability to understand and build consensus with your stakeholders is the only way to get lasting solutions to problems. Without buy-in, your piece of work is likely to fail or prove costly in both time and effort. This workshop will provide you with the invaluable experience, tools and techniques to build collaborative solutions to problems and overcome resistance to: getting results, decision-making and change.
Wouldn't it be great to bring to life the universal leadership challenge of gaining buy-in and approval across a range of interested parties, with often different and conflicting interests? So you can build your knowledge in the ‘soft’ skills of listening and influencing - and the techniques around building an effective communication plan. This workshop is for anyone who needs to engage and influence their stakeholders, it provides a range of knowledge, tools and techniques in a risk-free environment. You'll be able to:
- Understand, engage and manage different levels of stakeholder - inside and outside your organisation.
- Develop positive relationship management skills for long-term success.
- Manage difficult or complex stakeholder groups.
Maximise your training budget
Early, multiple booking and charity discounts available, find out more...
Flushed with some initial successes in management, most of us get handed a project – even though we may have precious little formal training or experience. This does not need to be a problem, we can attend a five-day residential course to cram lots of theory so we pass an exam and get a piece of paper that says we are officially recognised as a project manager.
So now you’re ready to handle that tricky, multi-million pound project with the 20 strong team looking to you for guidance – right? Wrong.
Sadly, this all too common scenario often leads to project managers becoming overworked at best, or they fail a project so spectacularly that their career is put in jeopardy.
How this workshop will help
Wouldn't it be sensible to have some form of ‘driving lesson’ for those leading projects? After all, aircraft pilots have simulators for their 'big projects' – so why can't we have management simulators?
Indigo Simulations, our suite of project and programme focused management simulations, allow you, your team and even your whole organisation to practice project management in a safe, blended (simulation and instructor-led) workshop.
"The whole point of simulations is to show cause and effect, where people aren't going to commit huge amounts of money, and create huge delays to real projects. In the discussions and arguments that this simulation creates... I can hear the reality. So I am quite sure that this is the most powerful training tool in project management there is." Dr Martin Barnes, CBE. President of the Association of Project Management & Board Member of the Major Projects Association.
The one-day Managing Stakeholders simulation is derived from a simulation that was originally commissioned by Shell, and is an important addition for anyone who has completed our industry leading Project Management Survival Guide™ workshop.
The simulation brings to life the universal leadership challenge of gaining buy-in and approval across a range of interested parties with often different and conflicting interests. Building your knowledge in the ‘soft’ skills of project management as well as testing your ‘hard’ project skills.
The simulation has been used in project and general management training programmes and also a range of leadership initiatives too. It simulates many of the issues associated with corporate responsibility, including how to define the ultimate success criteria of projects and the value of reputation.
“The small number of hours you spend on the Managing Stakeholders simulation is very, very powerful stuff. We use it on all our projects, in the early stages, and also during interim stages, as we are growing our management structure” - The Mace Group
- Managers develop skills by taking decisions; doing - and then by reflecting on the outcomes of these actions.
- The skill set you need is complex. This system allows you to develop skills that are subtle and are about dealing with situations where there aren't necessarily any “right answers”.
- You are given an opportunity to make mistakes - but in an environment where mistakes do not cost anything.
- You and your teams can experience the outcomes of your actions - something we don’t always benefit from in the real world because of the distance between cause and effect.
- Receive honest and immediate feedback - about your actions with our live feedback reporting system – during and after the project.
- Welcome to 21st century learning - It is well documented that the next generation of learners are requiring more innovative and interactive learning methods.
- Learn by discovering - which any management book will tell you is far more powerful than “being told”.
- Change behaviour - rather than just add to the mountain of information that the 21st Century executive already has.
TIME EFFICIENT: Run over one-day, this time-efficient programme is pragmatic for your people in today’s time-poor environment. Teams of three people go through the experience together, allowing them to verbalise, reflect and learn from the decisions they make and their results. Typically five teams take part in the workshop, which adds a fun, competitive and lively element to the experience that delegates relish.
YOUR EXPERT INDIGO TRAINER: Your facilitator, with proven project management and management experience, runs the workshop. Drawing out the learning and facilitating delegate discussions of how the learning relates back to their real project challenges – they are charged with developing their own action plan to take back and implement.
MIXED CHALLENGES: Most of our clients tell us that running a small project is challenging but doable. As the projects get larger and more complex, it’s the people, the politics and the personalities that cause the headaches. For the first time, Indigo Simulations and the Managing Stakeholders programme allow delegates to practice these 'people skills' in a project, through the medium of meetings, emails, phone calls and the media, without actually making career-limiting mistakes.
Who is a stakeholder?
A stakeholder can be an individual, a group – internal or external to your organisation; or another organisation that has an interest in, can be affected by, or affect your project or programme.
What is a Simulation?
Our simulations are a business game version of reality, attendees practice in safety, and hone their skills in a realistic (but not real) environment. Mistakes here don’t cost your organisation anything or harm personal or business reputations.
Who should attend?
The Managing Stakeholders simulation™ has been used in project and general management contexts and a range of leadership courses. This workshop is not just for project manager's it's for individuals and teams, of any level, that need to'manage projects.
Similar to the Project Management Survival Guide™, this workshop is ideal for both entry-level, first-time project managers and experienced project managers.
Duration and delivery methods available
A practical one-day workshop that is available as a public workshop in the UK; as online learning for groups and teams; or at your choice of date and location, worldwide, if you have a group or team to train.
Training for trainers
Accrediting your own trainers is the most cost-effective way to offer Managing Stakeholders™ within your organisation or to your clients. After attending the workshop as a delegate, you or your in-house trainers will be taught by some of Indigo’s globally recognised Master Trainers, who have been specially authorised to train these programmes to other trainers, to the highest standard. Once successful, you will be authorised to dovetail our award-winning programmes into your organisations training plans, at a fraction of the normal cost.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Simulations: Managing Stakeholders™ can count towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies or trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
- Top tips for managing stakeholders.
- Selling your ideas: stakeholder communication.
- Handling a difficult stakeholder - top tips.
Our most popular workshops are open to all and are ideal for individuals, smaller groups and those reviewing workshops before wider roll out. Delivered in major cities throughout the UK to small groups and online through our virtual learning plaforms.
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - provide the best in-depth and exercise-packed experience. They are delivered between 9am and 5pm. Our venues are all located close to major public transport hubs. Delegates will receive a printed workbook and peripherals.
We are determined to work with public workshop venues that provide the safest possible environment – the latest updates to what we are doing in conjunction with our partners can be found at: https://www.indigobusiness.co.uk/Workshops/calendar/Public-Workshop-Health-And-Safety-For-Delegates
- Virtual learning sessions (0900-1700 UK Time) - highly interactive online modular delivery, using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings). You will require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, you will require a webcam, speakers/headphones and to enable your microphone, or you can simply dial in on your phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with the simulation, screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates are given access to an online workbook that they can use online, download to a device or download and print. Printed workbooks can be provided at additional cost.
You can reserve a place on this workshop up to £595pp + VAT.
22 November 2021
Zoom (0900-1700 UK)
9 December 2021
17 March 2022
Zoom (0900-1700 UK)
Our in-house delivery option gives you the flexibility to train teams, groups and departments. Reducing delegate travel, training cost and environmental impact - as we train at your choice of location or online, in the UK or internationally. Options for tailoring content are available.
Materials can be provided in physical or digital format.
Prices quoted are based on 12 delegates per event:
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - typically result in a 50% cost saving per delegate, when compared to our open public workshops.
- Virtual learning sessions - delivered as highly interactive modular sessions. We can delver using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings) or your own learning platform.Virtual workshops require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, a webcam, speakers/headphones and enabled microphone, or attendees can simply dial in on their phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with the simulation, screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms.
Delegate places are available at from £315pp + VAT.