Project Management Survival Guide™
The comprehensive project management workshop that helps everyone involved in projects to plan, deliver and reduce the risk of expensive project failure. Deliver your projects on time, on budget and get the best results.
This essential workshop, covers the fundamentals of project management and provides a practical, widely applicable framework*. In easy common-sense steps, it:
- Introduces project management, cutting through the terminology. It provides an insight into the most common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- Teaches key tools and techniques, giving time to practice and give tips on implementing them in the workplace.
- Helps you effectively analyse and manage your stakeholders to get the right decisions made quickly.
Maximise your training budget
Early, multiple booking and charity discounts available, find out more...
Who is it for?
Anyone who has to do more, with less, including:
- Operational managers and staff with a portfolio of small multiple projects, in addition to their day job.
- Those new to project management, or those who have had no formal training.
What's it all about?
This workshop is the most cost and time effective way to combine Practical Projects™ and Managing Projects™, delivering a complete hands-on project management tool-kit. Covering both the hard techniques and soft skills of project management, it helps everyone involved in projects to be more planned, more organised and reduce risk.
It's a practical workshop, that's been used to enhance on-the-job skills and to enhance the practical application of academic project management knowledge. It's also a way for individuals to prepare for their first professional qualification. It also prepares you for the APM Project Fundamentals Qualification by teaching you everything you need to know and providing a workbook, with revision guide to help you through the exam.
Built around practice, coaching and feedback - delegates can share real-life problems and issues they face in their projects. They will then get advice from an experienced subject matter expert.
What will you get out of it?
It delivers the skills and knowledge required for anyone, not just project managers, who need to set up, manage or contribute to a project at all levels. You will be able to make an immediate start in project management by:
- Managing projects and time more effectively.
- Reducing confusion by cutting through the jargon.
- Adding value by applying a range of practical tips and tools.
- Appreciating the importance of stakeholder management.
Typical workshop content
The format is highly interactive, emphasising real-life case studies to embed learning and practice skills. At this workshop, you will develop your skills by:
- Defining and understanding the business context of projects and project management.
- Utilising the Association for Project Management (APM) project lifecycle and associated templates for planning and managing your project.
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a sponsor, steering group, Project Manager and associated team roles.
- Thinking about ways to gain buy-in and get decisions made more efficiently by working with your sponsor (and/or steering group) to plan from the outset using the ‘business case’.
- Understanding benefits management, success criteria and factors, KPIs and effective tracking and reporting.
- Developing and managing scope.
- Utilising effective change control and resource management.
- Using the techniques of milestone planning, critical path analysis and risk management to inform stakeholder decisions.
- Using effective stakeholder analysis and management techniques to develop communication plans and to manage upwards.
- Managing the process of issue escalation and resolution.Using stage/gate review techniques to shape outcomes and drive quality solutions.
- Effective monitoring and control of cost, quality and time on your project.
- Recognising and avoiding project pitfalls.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
*Project Management Survival Guide™ is aligned to the Association for Project Management (APM) current Body Of Knowledge (BOK).
It also counts towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodyies or trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
Open workshop dates
Indigo workshops help you harness improvement and innovation to deliver tangible benefits to your business. Our workshops can be combined to provide a total solution for your company – bringing real improvements to every step of the business process.
You can reserve a place on this course for £945pp + VAT.
18-19 September 2018
27-28 November 2018
30-31 January 2019
An in-house workshop is ideal for training teams and departments. They are the easiest way of training many delegates, making the most of your budget and reducing the need for costly delegate travel. In-house workshops typically result in a 50% saving per delegate cost, when compared to our open workshops.
Delegate places are available at £460pp + VAT.