Project Management Survival Guide™
The comprehensive project management workshop that helps everyone involved in projects to plan, deliver and reduce the risk of expensive project failure. Deliver your projects on time, on budget and get the best results.
This essential workshop, covers the fundamentals of project management and provides a practical, widely applicable framework. In easy common-sense steps, it:
- Introduces project management, cutting through the terminology. It provides an insight into the most common pitfalls and how to avoid them.
- Teaches key tools and techniques, giving time to practice and give tips on implementing them in the workplace.
- Helps you effectively analyse and manage your stakeholders to get the right decisions made quickly.
Maximise your training budget
Early, multiple booking and charity discounts available, find out more...
Who is it for?
Anyone who has to do more, with less, including:
- Operational managers and staff with a portfolio of small multiple projects, in addition to their day job.
- Those new to project management, or those who have had no formal training.
What's it all about?
This workshop delivers a complete hands-on project management tool-kit. Covering both the hard techniques and soft skills of project management, it helps everyone involved in projects to be more planned, more organised and reduce risk.
It's a practical workshop, that's been used to enhance on-the-job skills and to enhance the practical application of academic project management knowledge. It's also a way for individuals to prepare for their first professional qualification.
Built around practice, coaching and feedback - delegates can share real-life problems and issues they face in their projects. They will then get advice from an experienced subject matter expert.
What will you get out of it?
It delivers the skills and knowledge required for anyone, not just project managers, who need to set up, manage or contribute to a project at all levels. You will be able to make an immediate start in project management by:
- Managing projects and time more effectively.
- Reducing confusion by cutting through the jargon.
- Adding value by applying a range of practical tips and tools.
- Appreciating the importance of stakeholder management.
Typical workshop content
The format is highly interactive, emphasising real-life case studies to embed learning and practice skills. At this workshop, you will develop your skills by:
- Defining and understanding the business context of projects and project management.
- Understanding the project lifecycle and associated templates for planning and managing your project.
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a sponsor, steering group, Project Manager and associated team roles.
- Thinking about ways to gain buy-in and get decisions made more efficiently by working with your sponsor (and/or steering group) to plan from the outset using the ‘business case’.
- Understanding benefits management, success criteria and factors, KPIs and effective tracking and reporting.
- Developing and managing scope.
- Utilising effective change control and resource management.
- Using the techniques of milestone planning, critical path analysis and risk management to inform stakeholder decisions.
- Using effective stakeholder analysis and management techniques to develop communication plans and to manage upwards.
- Managing the process of issue escalation and resolution.Using stage/gate review techniques to shape outcomes and drive quality solutions.
- Effective monitoring and control of cost, quality and time on your project.
- Recognising and avoiding project pitfalls.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
It also counts towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies or trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
Our most popular workshops are open to all and are ideal for individuals, smaller groups and those reviewing workshops before wider roll out. Delivered in major cities throughout the UK to small groups and online through our virtual learning plaforms.
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - provide the best in-depth and exercise-packed experience. They are delivered between 9am and 5pm. Our venues are all located close to major public transport hubs. Delegates will receive a printed workbook and peripherals.
We are determined to work with public workshop venues that provide the safest possible environment – the latest updates to what we are doing in conjunction with our partners can be found at: https://www.indigobusiness.co.uk/Workshops/calendar/Public-Workshop-Health-And-Safety-For-Delegates
- Virtual learning sessions (0900-1700 UK Time) - highly interactive online modular delivery, using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings). You will require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, you will require a webcam, speakers/headphones and to enable your microphone, or you can simply dial in on your phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates are given access to an online workbook that they can use online, download to a device or download and print. Printed workbooks can be provided at additional cost.
You can reserve a place on this workshop up to £875pp + VAT.
7-8 October 2020
9-10 December 2020
24-25 March 2021
Our in-house delivery option gives you the flexibility to train teams, groups and departments. Reducing delegate travel, training cost and environmental impact - as we train at your choice of location or online, in the UK or internationally. Options for tailoring content are available.
Prices quoted are based on 15 delegates per event:
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - typically result in a 50% cost saving per delegate, when compared to our open public workshops. Delegates will receive a printed workbook and peripherals.
- Virtual learning sessions - delivered as highly interactive modular sessions. We can delver using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings) or your own learning platform. Virtual workshops require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, a webcam, speakers/headphones and enabled microphone, or attendees can simply dial in on their phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates are given access to an online workbook that they can use online, download to a device or download and print. Printed workbooks can be provided at addional cost.
Delegate places are available at from £460pp + VAT.