Think on Your Feet®
Be clear, confident and think before you speak with Think on Your Feet®, the verbal communication course that emphasises structure. It provides techniques and strategies that help you to analyse, organise and present your ideas with clarity, brevity and impact.
The complete verbal communication programme - Think on Your Feet® provides techniques to speak spontaneously with clarity, brevity and impact. The Think on Your Feet® approach emphasises structure when communicating. It ensures your ideas will be understood and remembered.
- Respond confidently and concisely in all formal, informal and ad-hoc situations, especially when caught on-the-spot or under pressure!
- Explain complex ideas and handle tough questions by condensing your thoughts, simplifying information and avoiding listener and information overload.
- Think on Your Feet® is the only workshop that trains you to analyse, organise and present your ideas - fast!
Maximise your training budget
Early, multiple booking and charity discounts available, find out more...
Who is it for?
Think on Your Feet® is designed for anyone who:
- Is concerned about communications, including senior executives, managers, sales and marketing professionals, technical specialists, financial analysts, public affairs experts, and training professionals.
- Needs to be clear, convincing and memorable when speaking to others.
- Doesn’t relish the idea of speaking in public, dealing with difficult questions, or being put on-the-spot.
- Needs to demonstrate good leadership qualities, to convince and persuade others, to be seen and acknowledged as a leader.
"As soon as you move one step up your company hierarchy, your effectiveness depends on your ability to reach others through the spoken or written word." - Peter Drucker
What's it all about?
Think on Your Feet® is not a presentation workshop, it's a unique programme that ensures you can confidently get your message across and be remembered, no matter what situation or level of individual/group you are communicating with.
It blends traditional reasoning techniques with the latest skills in verbal communication, you'll:
- Be in control of what you say by learning how structured thinking turns nervousness into energy.
- Learn the art and science of speaking convincingly and confidently, without relying on notes or creating any awkward silences.
- Learn ten organisational structures to focus your communication.
- Find you have time to think before you speak and be able to confidently select from a range of easy-to-use strategies to structure your response.
- Concentrate on what is in your listener’s mind, Think on Your Feet® gives you a simple, handy system that helps you to be understood and remembered when you communicate at work.
In just over thirty years, Think on Your Feet® has been delivered to over half a million business professionals worldwide (August 2018) and can now be delivered in 16 languages.
The Think on Your Feet® communication techniques are the foundation for all other skills: leading, speaking, writing, negotiating, selling and managing.
"The highest compliment I can give to Think on Your Feet® is that the programme is still as fresh in my mind today as if it was the day after the training. Participants throughout our firm tell me the same is true for them. The programme's distinctive competence is built around three equally important facets-structure, simplicity, and creativity." - Robert H. Dean, Former Chief Learning Officer, Grant Thornton, USA.
What will you get out of it?
Whether you are addressing one person or fifty, Think on Your Feet® provides the techniques to focus in on issues, organise ideas and speed up preparation and response time. Typical situations include:
- Answering questions on-the-spot.
- Needing to buy yourself time when asked a difficult question.
- Communicating with staff.
- Briefing management or clients.
- Handling the media.
- Getting your ideas across at a meeting.
- Explaining complex information clearly.
- Giving evidence.
- Selling a product or service.
- Promoting your organisation or yourself.
By focusing on an individual’s ability to think quickly and clearly, Think on Your Feet® dramatically improves oral communication skills.
Think on Your Feet® changes the way people communicate with three key elements:
1. ADDRESSING AN ESSENTIAL SKILL SET
2. STRUCTURING YOUR IDEAS
3. MASTERING THE ART OF 'OFF-THE-CUFF'
In moments, sometimes seconds, you have to analyse, organise and present your ideas clearly and memorably - thinking before you speak.
This is the only workshop that trains you to hone these skills - so you can effectively discuss and defend your position, without conflict or aggression.
Get your message across the first time, every time.
With 10 core communication structures - helping you to quickly decide which messages are essential and present them persuasively (even when under extreme time pressure!)
Package information for easier comprehension (particularly useful when communicating technical information to a non-technical audience).
Position arguments and manage your listeners.
Move your audience through images, analogies and storytelling.
True mastery comes with the ability to answer questions on-the-spot, clearly explain complicated ideas and be persuasive when you have little or no time to prepare.
Instantly select the best structure for each situation.
Learn how to focus a discussion in order to achieve Clarity, Brevity and Impact®.
"Exactly what I was looking for: simple, easy tools to use and effective, immediate visible results." - Packaging Productivity Manager, Food and Drink Manufacturer (2018)
What will your organisation get out of it?
Over 95% of workplace communication is ad-hoc, unplanned and informal - most organisations already provide structured presentation training for the 5% of formal communication. Think on Your Feet® is the only verbal communication workshop that addresses these informal situations.
Organisations need to focus on the challenges their people face when communicating verbally, this workshop provides structures to use in these informal situations:
- Off-the-cuff discussions.
- Board, management, status and project updates.
- Conference calls.
Your organisation will have people who are confident when presenting, defending, and discussing an idea or position persuasively and quickly. Your people will also be able to:
- Answer questions quickly and coherently, especially when under fire.
- Structure ideas simply and persuasively.
- Get their point across quickly, clearly, persuasively and memorably.
- Flesh-out ideas with memorable examples.
- Persuade their audience.
- Avoid common communication traps.
- Handle objections positively.
- Deal with hostile situations.
- Use “bridging” strategies to clarify questions, defuse issues and buy time.
- Anticipate questions and prepare answers.
- Use techniques to identify listeners’ hopes, fears and background knowledge.
- Use simple, jargon-free language that listeners can understand.
- Turn nervousness into energy.
- Separate topics clearly using transitions.
- Organise ideas while talking.
Above all your people will, GET TO THE POINT AND BE REMEMBERED.
"Think on Your Feet® dramatically improves your ability to quickly organize your thoughts before responding to questions. A great workshop for anybody who has to deliver information to clients, at meetings or in presentations." - Barb Baker, Director of In-Flight Training and Development, Northwest Airlines
Typical workshop content
The Think on Your Feet® workshop begins with quick coherent thinking—the bedrock of communication—and ends with dramatically sharpening skills to speak more convincingly. The workshop provides all-purpose strategies for organising your ideas, and shows how to match your message to your audience. It then helps you to think before you speak by using plans and techniques to reinforce the way you deliver your message, making it more memorable.
We always cover a core programme, together with lots of practice and feedback. This is the typical 2-day agenda:
- Getting to the point.
- Presenting your ideas.
- When you are caught off guard.
- Handling questions quickly, clearly and persuasively.
- Using 'Visual Pegs' as structure.
- Dividing information in Facets, Aspects or Perspectives.
- Bridging from question to answer.
- Explaining your listener's perspective.
- Moving two opposing viewpoints to a middle ground.
- Selling the benefits of an idea.
- Illustrating your ideas.
- Telling a story.
- Putting it all together.
"One of the most useful bits of training I think i've ever done - wish i'd done this much earlier in my career!." - SENIOR RESEARCHER, SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT.
Duration, delivery methods and languages available
Indigo is proud to be an official licensed provider of Think on Your Feet®. It is a practical two-day workshop that is available as a public workshop in the UK (London, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff, Bristol and Newcastle); public workshops in Ireland (Dublin), North America and Canada; at your choice of date and location, worldwide, if you have a group or team to train; or as one-to-one coaching. Think on Your Feet® can also be combined with your existing programmes to ensure you provide the best training to ensure the most efficient verbal communication from your people.
The Think on Your Feet® workbook is available in a number of languages: Arabic, Polish, Korean, English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Chinese (simplified and Traditional), Italian, Hebrew, Japanese, Czech, Japanese and Braille. Contact us for more information.
Training for trainers
Accrediting your own trainers is the most cost-effective way to offer Think on Your Feet® within your organisation. After attending the workshop as a delegate, you or your in-house trainers will be taught by some of Indigo’s globally recognised Master Trainers, who have been specially authorised to train these programmes to other trainers, to the highest standard. Once successful, you will be authorised to dovetail our award-winning programmes into your organisations training plans, at a fraction of the normal cost.
- Find out more about the public Trainer Accreditation.
- Find out more about the steps you need to take to become an Accredited Trainer.
- Enquire about training for trainers.
Indigo Business Services is proud to be a:
Official UK Distributor
Indigo Business Services Limited are exclusive UK Distributor for Think on Your Feet® International and McLuhan & Davies Communications, Inc. Our trainers are all licenced to deliver using original licenced materials. Read more in our press release: Indigo Business Services Named Exclusive UK Distributor for Think on Your Feet®
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Think on Your Feet® can count towards your CPD recognition with leading professional associations and trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
In addition to this, Think on Your Feet® qualifies for Personal Development Units (PDUs) towards your PMP:
Registered by Mcluhan & Davies Communications inc. Code 3785. Professional development units per workshop: 13 units - PMP®/PgMP
*Indigo Business Services Ltd are authorised distributors for McLuhan & Davies Communications inc
- The (ugly) truth about workplace communication (infographic).
- Verbal communication top tips.
- Selling your ideas: cutting through the noise.
- Selling your ideas: stakeholder communication.
- Handling a difficult stakeholder - top tips.
Open workshop dates
Indigo workshops help you harness improvement and innovation to deliver tangible benefits to your business. Our workshops can be combined to provide a total solution for your company – bringing real improvements to every step of the business process.
You can reserve a place on this course for £875pp + VAT.
20-21 May 2019
5-6 June 2019
12-13 June 2019
An in-house workshop is ideal for training teams and departments. They are the easiest way of training many delegates, making the most of your budget and reducing the need for costly delegate travel. In-house workshops typically result in a 50% saving per delegate cost, when compared to our open workshops.
Delegate places are available at £460pp + VAT.