Practice how you use vital tools and techniques to build the skills required to manage and deliver projects.
- Teaches key techniques in scoping; planning using critical path analysis; risk analysis; resource management and change control.
- Provides a Waterfall framework, useful templates and recognised techniques* for setting-up, executing and closing-out projects.
- Develops an understanding of key roles and responsibilities of stakeholders including the Project Manager, Sponsor and team members.
Who is it for?
Anyone who has attended Practical Projects™, and:
- Needs more than just the fundamentals, or;
- Are expected to provide structure and best practice back in the workplace, or;
- Are preparing to sit their first professional project management qualification or examination.
Also, project deliverers with 3+ years' project management experience with no formal training, or looking for a refresher.
What’s it all about?
This workshop concentrates on practice. Delegates will have been exposed to the project environment, whether role-based or off the side of their desk. Now being expected to deliver something more formal or high profile, with a structured and professional recognised approach.
It builds on existing knowledge and introduces a common language and approach for the team and organisation, which research (PWC Global Survey 2012) proves elevates project success levels.
Find out more about the different methodologies and processes available in this article: Waterfall or Agile? How will you manage your projects?
Options for customising delivery and content are available through our in-house delivery option.
What will you get out of it?
Concentrating on practice, this workshop will enable you to deliver something more formal or high profile, with a structured and professionally recognised approach. You will be:
- Equipped with a full toolkit that you have practised using in a risk-free environment.
- More effective with your time.
- More confident in your chances of success and ability to mitigate risks effectively.
It is delivered by experienced Project Managers, with many years experience of training and facilitation. You'll gain an overview of the whole process and focus in on some of the most useful and user-friendly project management techniques.
Typical workshop content
- Defining and understanding the business context of projects and project management.
- Understanding the project lifecycle and associated templates for planning and managing your project.
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a sponsor, steering group, Project Manager and associated team roles.
- Working with your sponsor (and/or steering group) to plan from the outset using the ‘business case’.
- Understanding benefits management, success criteria and factors, KPI’s, effective tracking and reporting.
- Developing and managing scope.
- Utilising effective change control and resource management.
- Using the techniques of milestone planning, critical path analysis and risk management to inform stakeholder decisions.
- Using effective stakeholder analysis and management techniques to develop communication plans and to manage upwards.
- Managing the process of issue escalation and resolution.
- Using stage/gate review techniques to shape outcomes and drive quality solutions.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
It also counts towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies or trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
Our in-house delivery option gives you the flexibility to train teams, groups and departments. Reducing delegate travel, training cost (significant saving when compared to our open public workshops) and environmental impact - as we train at your choice of location or online, in the UK or internationally. Options for tailoring content are available.
Prices quoted are based on 12 delegates per event, we can accommodate up to 20 delegates for an additional fee:
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - delegates receive a printed workbook/materials.
- Virtual learning sessions - delivered as highly interactive modular sessions using our Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Webex platforms or your own. Virtual workshops require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, a webcam, speakers/headphones and enabled microphone, or attendees can simply dial in on their phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates receive access to an online workbook/materials that can be viewed online, downloaded to a portable device or printed. Printed workbooks are available at additional cost.
Delegate places are available at up to £330 pp + VAT.